Empowering Change: Therapy & Consulting
As a mental health therapist, I work with individuals to cultivate deeper insight & understanding about the ways in which their life experiences & ways of being in the world impact their mood & feelings; the choices & decisions they make; & the behaviors they engage in. In working this way, I have found that clients feel empowered to change behaviors that may negatively impact their quality of life; & develop healthy coping strategies to effectively manage difficult emotions & circumstances they may not, as yet, be able to change.
I draw upon an individual's strengths, culture, spirituality & community as a means of facilitating healing, empowerment & change. My therapeutic approach is grounded in racial & social justice principles.
Therapeutic modalities I use include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Trauma Focused CBT;
- Mindfulness Based CBT;
- Psychodynamic Therapy;
- Somatic Attachment Therapy; &
- Somatic (body oriented) techniques.
I have extensive experience providing individual, couples, & group therapy with adolescents & adults from diverse backgrounds including communities of color; immigrant communities; incarcerated folks; & the LGBTQ community. The following list highlights some of the areas I have supported clients as they work towards creating empowering change in their lives:
- sexual abuse/assault - male, female, non-binary survivors;
- trauma - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as well as on-going, complex trauma;
- involvement with the juvenile & adult criminal justice systems;
- transitioning back to the community after incarceration;
- addictions & addictive behaviours;
- unhealthy relationship dynamics including co-dependence, controlling behaviours &/or relationship violence;
- navigating the demands of conflicting cultural pressures, particularly within immigrant families; and
- managing day to day stress associated with racism; anger; rage; economic, work &/or family related stressors.
I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about any questions you may have about therapy in general; what you are seeking support with; or my skills & experience.
I am available for a free 30 minute telephone or online video consultation to discuss any questions you may have.
You can reach me at 022 380 5322 / [email protected]